Mac and Cheese is one dish that most children like to eat. There are tons of recipes for homemade mac and cheese that can be substituted with gluten free noodles. I like this version because it is good for you, tasty, and my kids will eat it! Many additions and substitutions can be made with this basic recipe. If you need step by step instructions (with pictures) here's a great blog. It's the recipe I used and made changes to.
I've done this a couple different ways. One is to omit the egg, stir everything up and there is no need to bake. This was great when we needed a quick dinner.
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
2 1/2 Cups Water
2 Cups cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. gluten free flour
1 1/2 Cup Broccoli, Finely Chopped (or cauliflower, ham, peppers, etc.)
1. In a large skillet, add olive oil and onion to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add quinoa and stir to combine; let cook for 5 minutes for quinoa to become aromatic and slightly opaque.
2. Add water, salt, and pepper to quinoa mixture; let simmer 15-20 minutes until 95% of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is softened.
3. In the meantime, melt butter and flour is saucepan over medium heat; stir to combine. Add cheddar cheese and milk; stir continuously over medium heat until all cheese is melted and fully incorporated with the milk/butter/flour mix.
4. Combine, eggs, quinoa, chopped broccoli with the cheese blend; stir gently and well.
5. Pour into greased baking dish.
6. Bake at 400* for 30 minutes until top is slightly browned.