Monday, August 20, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

     Sure wish I had taken a picture of this beautiful pizza crust.  Sounds kind of strange doesn't it?  My cousins' wife told me about this and so I had to try it.  It is SO much easier to make than other GF pizza crusts.  My only complaint is that it doesn't hold together well.  I'm going to do some research and see if I can tweak this a bit to make it stay together better.  I found recipes all over the internet and most were the same.  One website said to squeeze the excess water out of the cauliflower to help the crust firm up - I will try that next time.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust                                                                 Preheat oven 450 degrees

1/2 large head cauliflower (or 2 + cups shredded)
1 large egg
1 Cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried minced garlic (or fresh)
1/2 tsp. onion salt (I omitted this)

Shred cauliflower into small crumbles.  Careful not to puree - just crumble.  Place cauliflower crumbles in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes.  My microwave cooks faster so I did it in 3 min.  Cool cauliflower.

In a medium bowl mix the crumbles with the remaining crust ingredients.  On a pre-greased 9-12 inch round pizza pan form a crust being careful to make it even.  If desired coat the pizza lightly with olive oil.  Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until crust is golden.  Remove the crust and top as desired.  Place the pizza back in the oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly (or golden if you like it like that!)

 

No comments: