Monday, August 16, 2010

Vegetable Broth

I found this recipe here. This is a GREAT recipe. It does not contain MSG and is delicious. Nutritional yeast can be found at the health food store and isn't very expensive. Especially if your store has a bulk section.

Vegetable Broth Powder
2 cups Nutritional Yeast
1/2 cup sea salt
2 Tablespoons onion powder1 Tablespoon turmeric
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
2 teaspoons marjoram (optional)2 teaspoons dried powdered lemon peel (optional)
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon powdered thyme
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
Place all, except parsley, in a blender in the listed order. Blend until powered together. Add parsley and pulse to chop. Store in an airtight container indefinitely in the cupboard. To make veggie broth, add 1 tbsp of powder to every quart of water.

2 comments:

Nemmer said...

Hey Jen, I'm loving your blog! Thanks for posting it on the adoption group. I just have one comment. As I'm making healthy diet changes, part of that process is cutting out anything with MSG or ingredients that act like MSG, which can include "natural flavors" and "autolyzed yeast extract." It seems like nutritional yeast is suspected to be one of those things too, sadly, that acts like MSG. So, I'm curious if you've ever tried this recipe without the Nut. Yeast? I may try it and see how it turns out. :)

Jen said...

Hi Nemmer,
I haven't tried this without NY. That is what gives it the great flavor. You could make a good broth without it though. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with about Nutritional Yeast acting like MSG. I have never heard that before and am curious to find out more.