Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gluten-Free tip of the week

I'm new to gluten-free but not new to changing a diet. Over a year and a half ago I changed our family diet to near sugar-free and whole grain instead of white flour. My tips are going to be ongoing as I learn more about cooking without gluten. It's going to be a challenge but I'm ready and willing to learn.

My number one tip for any type of diet change is that you need the proper equipment. I know that this can be costly, but it's really the only way to save money in the long run and make the food work out the way you want it to. Buying special flours in small packages can be really expensive. Several years ago I was given an electric grain grinder for Christmas. I can buy whole grains in large quantities and grind only what I need. Whole grains store much longer than flour and hold their nutrition. I also own a small hand ginder/roller and a coffe grinder for nuts and flax. Another expensive but worthwhile investment is a mixer. I use the Bosch Universal which also comes with a good blender. Kitchen Aid stand mixers come on sale quite often through places like Kohls or buy.com and I've heard good things about them.

No comments: