Sunday, October 5, 2008

Family, Fun, and Soup

My family had a great get together Friday night. We all brought a soup and my mom made scones. The soups were all so good that I asked my brother and sisters to send the recipe. I haven't received any recipes yet, but I'll post mine and keep bugging them for theirs.

Bratten's clam chowder

1 C finely chopped onion
1C finely sliced celery
2 C finely diced potatoes
2 or more cans minced clams
3/4 C butter
3/4 C flour
1 qt half and half
1 1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
1/2 tsp sugar

Prepare vegetables - place in saucepan. Drain clam juice over veg. Add enough water to barely cover veg. Simmer, covered, over med. heat until potatoes are tender - about 20 min. Melt butter, add flour, and blend - cook 2 min. Add cream to butter mixture and cook, stirring (wire whisk) until mixture is smooth and thickened. Add undrained veg and clams. Heat through. season with salt and pepper.

For those that don't like clams, use corn instead. To speed up the process, cook potatoes in electric pressure cooker - 5 min., high pressure.

No comments: