Friday, January 13, 2012

Gluten Free Diet Thoughts

I don't have any research to back up this post, just my own opinion and observations.  When my children first started the gluten-free lifestyle, I did as much reading as I could on healing.  I soon realized that healing needs to be defined before you can decide when it happens.  Would it mean that a person could eat gluten again?  Would it mean that the person in question had energy and vibrancy?  My research was fairly conclusive that a person would never be able to eat gluten again.  However, there are some folks that believe otherwise.  I believe that anything is possible.  I decided that I couldn't know for sure if the kids could ever eat gluten again but I would be able to tell when they felt and looked great.  At first, I didn't see this happening and had to figure out why.  Then I realized that I was just trying to replace gluten foods with gluten-free copycats and I had abandoned some of the principles of good health that we had practiced previously.  It really wasn't all bad, the kids needed to feel some comfort in the foods they ate and not feel completely different from their friends.  I can say that two out of three of my gluten-free kids are doing great and feeling great most of the time.  They have realized that even though some foods are gluten-free, that doesn't mean they are good for you.  For instance, store bought, gluten-free mixes are packed with sugar and flours that are mostly starches.  These make the mixes taste good, but they aren't great for you.  We've since decided that our choices would center around produce, legumes, etc. and the other would have a small place at the table.  Truly I can say that the family members that have embraced these choices truly are healthy!  

No comments: