Sunday, January 15, 2012

What Works Best For Weight Loss?

     For most of my life, I was under the impression that keeping a healthy weight was mostly due to exercise.  It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I've ever had to think about weight.  I've always been really active and ate fairly well.  Then I had two babies.  My weight at the first Dr.'s visit of my second pregnancy was the same as what I weighed on the last appointment before I delivered the first baby!  I couldn't seem to lose that weight no matter what I tried.  My sister then pointed out an interesting fact about exercise.  A person has to burn 3500 calories, over and above what the body needs for daily activity, in order to lose 1 pound!  We need somewhere around 2000 calories per day in order to function.  That amount can vary according to our physical activity, weight, etc.  It only makes sense that we turn to what we eat as the culprit of our inability to lose weight.  One thing to remember is that if we don't eat enough, we will hold on to weight.  It comes down to what we eat.  I'm not a calorie counter and I will never be.  IMO, the most important thing to remember is to eat foods that are filled with nutrition.  Nutritious foods will fill us up and give us energy.  You've heard of an empty calorie?  What does that mean?  That means that a food we have eaten has nothing of value in it.  If the food eaten has no nutritional value, my body will not feel full and I will crave more food that has no value.  Exercise is also extremely important to our bodies.  It helps us strengthen, tone and keep moving.  Our heart, lungs, muscles, etc. need the exercise to feel good!  FEEL GOOD!  Make a good choice today!

No comments: